If you have found this website it probably means that you are interested in theatre and in particular theatre for young people, children and their families and I bid you welcome.
Here you will find information about the plays I have been writing over the past thirty years, including plays for adults, adaptations and musicals. There are synopses of the plays and information about how to get hold of scripts, either for professional or for amateur use.
I have spent all my working life in the professional theatre and believe in its power to affect not only individual lives but also, and perhaps as a consequence of changing individuals, the very nature of our world.
Young people need theatre and all it can offer, both as participants and as audiences, more than ever. In the theatre one can reshape the world for a time and examine it from different points of view in a safe and socially cohesive environment.
2013 YouTube video of Charles Way talking about recent development work.
I try to create work that does not preach, that examines the pressures under which we live through story and metaphor, that is fun, sometimes dangerous, but always I trust, humane and hopeful.
News – Summer 2014
- Hard Times will be published by Aurora Metro Press this summer. Way's 5 star adaptation (The Independent) is now available on Amazon and other outlets.
- Upcoming productions include One Snowy Night at the Theatre de la Grenouille, Sleeping Beauty in Leipzig, Beauty and the Beast at The Arden Theatre, Philadelphia and Sinbad – The Untold Tale at Imagination Stage, Washington DC.
- Nivelli’s War. Produced by Cahoots NI and directed by Paul Boscoe McEneany, opened in February in Armagh, and then went on tour. "This is world class work being produced right here in Belfast… it is crying out to be seen in countries far from here, where the quality of production and the impact of content upon young imaginations can be recognised for their universal significance." (Belfast Telegraph).
- New Plays for Young People. Look out for this new title from Aurora Metro Press. The book contains three original new plays for young audiences including Missing, which won the German Children’s award in 2010, Pirates! A Boy at Sea, and Nivelli’s War.
- Ragnarok. An Eastern Angles production will now be directed by Hal Chambers. This large scale piece opens on September 11 at The Hush House – an old aircraft hanger. Ragnarok is the story of man’s beginning and end according to Norse Legend. The tragedy of Odin and his race will be played out in a remarkable performing space.
- The Gift, a brand new play for Cahoots NI Belfast, was chosen for development at New Visions New Voices at the Kennedy Centre for the Performing Arts, Washington DC, in May 2014. It will open in March 2015 in Belfast.
- Wanted! Robin Hood had a 6-week run at the Lowry Manchester. It was the last Christmas show at the Library Theatre before it became the new Theatre HOME. Many positive reviews included "Charles Way’s script is beautifully crafted allowing director Amy leach to bring together script and actors to form an evening of wonderful entertainment." (***** What’s on Stage).
2014 update – this new page has extracts of reviews from recent productions.