If you have found this website it probably means that you are interested in theatre and in particular theatre for young people, children and their families and I bid you welcome.
Here you will find information about the plays I have been writing over the past thirty years, including plays for adults, adaptations and musicals.
There are synopses of the plays and information about how to get hold of scripts, either for professional or for amateur use.
“As the finest writers are shaped and influenced by their home place, so have Way’s many award-winning plays reflected the rich cultural heritage from which they sprang.
But The Gift is something entirely different, a play written by a master of the genre, who, while knowing his constituency so well, is yet willing to go out on a limb in pursuit of something new.”
Culture Northern Ireland, March 2015
News – Summer 2015
Two new plays about Space are in the pipeline (both at first draft stage):
- Infinity, commissioned by Consol Theatre (Germany) and Theatr Iolo (Wales). For young people and adults.
- Starman, commissioned by Cahoots NI (Belfast) and Theatre de Grenouille (Biel, Switzerland). For younger children (6+).
The Snow Queen will be at the Theatre by the Lake (Keswick). For family audiences.
Nivelli’s War was nominated for Best Production for Children and Young People in the 2015 TMA Awards.
In July, research and writing begins on an adaptation of Under the Hawthorn Tree by Marita Conlon-McKenna. This famous story is set during the Irish Famine of 1845 and has been commissioned by the Ulster American Folk Park Museum, Omagh NI.
- The Gift: "…a play written by a master of the genre" More…
- Hard Times: "…A stellar adaptation by Charles Way, moving thoughtful and wonderfully drawn" More…
- Wanted! Robin Hood: " … Thrilling action and crowd pleasing comedy." More…
- Nivelli’s War: "…This is world class work being produced right here in Belfast" More…